League of Women Voters of the United States
LWVUS was founded on February 14, 1920, six months before ratification of the 19th Amendment. Their purpose was to be a means of teaching the newly enfranchised women about the mechanics of registering and voting; the process of nomination and election procedures; and our form of government. They thought the work might be accomplished in five years!
Through the years, the League has evolved from an organization concerned with women’s needs and training women voters to one concerned with the nation’s needs and to training and informing all voters. Men were admitted as members beginning in 1973.
League of Women Voters of Indiana
LWVIN was also organized in 1920, when 112 local chapters of the Indiana Franchise League folded into the LWVUS. Most of those local chapters disbanded or reorganized. There are now 20 local Leagues in Indiana, including Bloomington–Monroe County.
League of Women Voters of Bloomington–Monroe County
LWV-BMC began as the Women’s Franchise League in Bloomington in 1913. When the League of Women Voters was formed, the Bloomington Franchise League chose to join. Over the years, the League in Bloomington-Monroe County has been involved in educating the public and providing voter assistance. This includes specific efforts such as passage of an ordinance on rat control (1940s); pasteurization of milk (1940s); school consolidation (1950s); development of Lake Monroe (1950s); establishment of Utilities Service Board (1960s); environmental issues (e.g., Hoosier National Forest and PCBs in drinking water) (1970s), election laws (1980s), and PCB clean-up (1990s). Since 2000, we are known for our advocacy on voting issues, voter registration, nonpartisan candidate information, civics education programs, and our efforts in redistricting reform. LWV-BMC has about 125 members.
League of Women Voters: An Expanded History
Contact the League: email@example.com